Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the Line of Fashion

I've always wished I was good at drawing, but alas I had to settle for less than average doodling skills. This does not, however, stop me from admiring other artists! A new exhibit at the Society of Illustrators Museum in NYC called- "In the Line of Fashion", showcases fashion illustrations from the 1940's and 1950's as well as some modern pieces. So I thought I would dedicate a post to some of my favorite illustrators past and present!


Rene Robert Bouche first started illustrating for French and American Vogue in 1939, and when he died in 1963 he was the last of his kind still drawing for magazines. I love how his pieces really portray sophistication and elegance. They are quite simple, but yet still depict a certain grandeur. (Pictures via designboom.com & giam.typepad.com)


These watercolor illustrations from Kareem Iliya are so beautiful and I love how he uses the colors to create light and texture. There is a sense of mystery and magic to them that just captivates me. Kareem has been featured in many magazines including W Magazine, British Vogue, and Harper's Bazaar, see more of his work HERE.(Pictures via art-dept.com)


Garance Dore started her blog in 2006 and since then she has become very popular in the 'blogosphere' and in the industry, being featured in several magazines such as Nylon and the New York Times Magazine. I really love her sketches, there is a charm and whimsy about them. To me they seem to portray 'real' girls who each have their own personality, whether it be fun and spunky or poised and chic- they seem true to life. (Pictures via garancedore.fr)


Australian illustrator Kelly Smith also has her own blog, which features a lot of her stunning fashion drawings. I love the soft, romantic quality that her illustrations have and I also like how they really depict the clothes well, from their shapes to their textures. Check her blog for a lot of great drawings from designers' fall 2009 collections including, Chanel, Zac Posen, and Nina Ricci. (Pictures via birdyandme.com.au)

No comments:

Post a Comment