Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Girl Who Wouldn't Let Her Hair Down







I found this editorial in the September 1995 issue of Vogue Italia, which I bought last week from the weekend market. I just fell in love with these photos by Bruce Weber and the story they told. I like how it is all quite understated from the clothes to the narrative. However, it could be considered quite controversial as you start to realize the young girl is pregnant and seems to be getting into all sorts of trouble, drinking and smoking. But I like how Weber made it seem realistic rather than trying to scream out the point and be obtrusive about it. The result is that the story is discreet and genuine, making the shoot seem like Weber was photographing a real teenage couple handling a difficult situation they were unprepared for. I think it's really great when fashion can tell a story and express real sentiment, it draws people in and allows them to connect with the piece and its emotion.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how interesting! What a fabulous find :) Thanks for posting them. Great story, kind of sad, though...

    xx. mavi

    ReplyDelete